Clifford Chance Llp
The Brand, Communications & Marketing (BCM) function plays an important role in supporting the firm in achieving its vision and progressing its strategy. BCM works closely with other functions to increase our ability and opportunities to engage with our clients and wider stakeholder groups through compelling, differentiated and data-driven communications and marketing programmes that underpin our strategic and commercial success.
The Global Head of BCM will act both as a senior advisor and relationship manager to the firm’s global leadership in relation to corporate affairs and communications, reputation management, public relations, internal communications and engagement, marketing and brand development, and advancing the firm’s brand profile and marketing strategy and externally. They will lead on advising and delivering external facing brand, communications and marketing campaigns and proactive internal communications, with the aim of enhancing the firm’s reputation with key stakeholders and supporting the delivery and implementation of the Firm’s vision and global strategy. They will ensure that the firm has the capabilities, processes and infrastructure in place to deliver effectively and efficiently against these goals.
They will have reporting lines in from, and oversight of the Brand communications and marketing team, which is a large function with resources across the firm’s global network. The team works closely with the partners in support of the Firm’s client strategy and our competitive market proposition through a number of key activities including
• building reputation and brand around our client service delivery; our innovation strategy; our culture; and, our commitment to responsible business and sustainability
• internal engagement and communication programmes to drive organisational alignment and support change management
• strategic communications managing reputational issues and ensuring crisis preparedness
• delivering press and media relations, marketing, digital marketing and social media campaigns internally and externally for targeted stakeholder groups.
The Global Head of BCM will have overall responsibility:
• To lead the BCM function, which comprises around 60 team members globally, to ensure that communications about the firm to clients, colleagues, prospective members of the firm, alumni and all other stakeholders delivers a consistent message that reflects and enhances the firm’s vision, strategy, culture, values, and our commitment to sustainability.
• To work with the firm’s leadership to always protect and manage the firm’s reputation and brand and ensuring that the firm is well placed to manage the reputation and communications aspects of any significant issues that may arise.
• To operate as a consultant, advisor, relationship manager and influencer to ensure Managers and Partners appreciate the value of effective brand, marketing and communication and utilize the resources available to fulfill their responsibilities.
• To evolve and maintain consistent brand, marketing and communication processes and collateral, ensuring coordination of messages to internal and external audiences, working in tight collaboration with colleagues in the Client and Market Development team.
• To collaborate with other client & market facing functions (Client and Market Development (CMD), Innovation and Best Delivery, Pricing, Knowledge and Thought Leadership (KETL), IT) to ensure that the strategies are aligned to the highest strategic priorities of the firm.
• To ensure the BCM function continually evolves to deliver an effective, efficient, and high-quality service to the partnership, has an external focused view of market developments and competitor activity, and promotes and protects the firm’s brand, messaging and strategy across multiple channels and collateral.
Reports to the Global Chief Operating Officer
You will develop a strong, direct relationship with the firm’s Global Managing Partner, working closely with them to drive their leadership agenda.
Reporting lines into the Global Head of Brand, Communications and Marketing are:
• Global Head of Internal Communications
• Head of Marketing
• Head of PR, UK
Regional Business Development and Marketing heads across the network have a dotted line reporting relationship into this role, as will some of the more senior BCM leads in the regions.
Member of the following global groups:
• Executive Operations Group (EOG)
• Thought Leadership Board
• Knowledge Committee
• Responsible Business Board
• Information and Privacy Governance Board
• Operational Risk and Resilience Committee
Strategy and Leadership
In close collaboration with senior leadership, you will:
• Establish the BCM strategy in support of the firm’s vision and strategy; ensure this is understood by the BCM team globally, executed against and evaluated
• Proactively lead on all external and internal communications including media relations, internal communications, alumni communications, digital marketing, and social media.
• Ensure the firm develops clear and compelling messaging reflecting its ambition, market position and stakeholder needs.
• Design and address proactive communication plans for the promotion of the firm’s work, values, and culture.
• Identify, evaluate, and prepare for potential risks to the firm’s reputation; as well as manage issues and crises as they arise.
• Develop innovative short- and long-term brand, communication and marketing strategies, tactics, and activities that will support the firm in achieving its strategic and commercial objectives and that will help to differentiate the firm from its competitors, including building differentiating points for Clifford Chance in the marketplace and developing campaigns around these propositions.
• Maintain and evolve a brand and marketing strategy to enhance the Firm’s standing and reputation in its global and local markets (with the community, clients, public, regulatory authorities, governments, and employees) and its collective identity; with delivery across a range of relevant channels, including offline and digital.
• Direct and co-ordinate all communications for the firm’s global management functions and regional offices, including supporting change management in the delivery of the firm’s strategy.
• Ensure consistency and impact of the firm’s brand communications and marketing activity, incorporating best practice in day-to-day execution.
• Ensure an effective process is in place to monitor the external perception of the firm in key geographic regions and practice areas.
• Ensure that the firm’s digital marketing strategy and infrastructure keeps pace with changing stakeholder expectations, adopting best practice and investing in appropriate new technologies and operating models.
• Provide strategic direction for the Firm’s global alumni programme, expanding and deepening the firm’s relationship with its global alumni base.
• Provide strategic direction for the Firm’s client events programme.
• Align the BCM team’s priorities with the specific priority areas identified by the firm’s leadership annually.
• Working with the Global Co-heads of Client and Market Development (CMD), you will identify alternative service delivery models for the Brand, Communications & Marketing function (including disaggregating tasks, using on-shore, off-shore, near-shore teams) and develop associated change management plans.
• Manage the budget for the BCM function in line with the Firm’s guiding principles.
• Build business cases for marketing and communications investment where needed to support the firm’s vision and strategy, particularly in the arena of digital marketing.
Risk & Issues Management
• First line response from a communications aspect in relation to risk and issues management.
• Using market insight and internal knowledge to pre-empt and plan proactive communications for issues management.
• Provide coaching to Partners and Senior Management on the delivery of communications and handling business continuity events.
• Work with the firm’s Global Managing Partner, Global Senior Partner, General Counsel and Chief Risk and Compliance Officer and other members of the firm’s Responsible Business Board to ensure our approach to sustainability and responsible business evolves in line with changing stakeholder expectations of the firm as a market leader in this space.
• Advise on the positioning of our responsible business strategy and develop and oversee the delivery of supporting communications and marketing programmes. Ensure our responsible business and sustainability strategies align with our client facing ESG offer.
• Advise on the development of our responsible business reporting strategy, and oversee the delivery our reporting suite, including according to globally established frameworks, e.g., the UN Global Compact and UNSDGs.
• Work with Executive Leadership Group members to ensure that messaging reflects the nuances and needs of the Firm’s markets and client base; ranging from how we communicate Thought Leadership to the Firm’s financials.
• Work in tandem with the Global Co-Heads of Client and Market Development to ensure the strategy, direction and deliverables of the two functions are fully aligned.
….. click apply for full job details